The Environmental Law Group at Shannon Gracey
The Environmental Law Group at Shannon Gracey can assist with a wide range of environmental issues including permitting, disclosure statements and reporting, audits and compliance counseling; air emissions, water discharges, and hazardous, oil and gas and medical wastes; exposure to benzene, mold and asbestos; underground and above ground tanks/storage; storm water runoff, wetlands, and endangered species; and the assessment and remediation of contaminated property. Our attorneys also have experience addressing water rights. Our attorneys have counseled clients appearing before various federal, state and local agencies, including the U. S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality, the Army Corps of Engineers and the Texas Railroad Commission.
A Comprehensive Approach
The Environmental Law Group collaborates with attorneys in other practice areas to help clients stay abreast of, and in compliance with, the complex maze of environmental regulations. The Group works alone or as part of a team with other Shannon Gracey practice groups such as those listed below.
- Corporate - Our environmental law attorneys assist clients with due diligence assessment of environmental issues and liabilities and provide compliance advice on an ongoing basis. We also assist with the interpretation of statutes, negotiate with environmental agencies on compliance issues and provide counsel on required corrective actions on scoping and privilege issues. Our attorneys also review transaction documents to minimize environmental risk and counsel clients regularly on programs such as the Texas Voluntary Cleanup Program and Innocent Purchaser Program.
- Mergers& Acquisitions – We have experience with multi-million dollar acquisitions of businesses, including solid waste companies, an airline company and a Manhattan REIT. Our environmental attorneys can assist with selecting and engaging environmental consultants, drafting environmental risk management terms for transaction documents and negotiating solutions if an environmental issue arises.
- Construction, Real Estate, Land Use - Our attorneys work with experts, governmental entities, real estate brokers, developers, construction companies and property owners to evaluate conditions at a property and identify issues for development and/or remediation. We can help navigate issues when wetlands or an endangered species may impact development. The Group also can help with any necessary permitting including air, water, wetland, storm water or others.
- Energy - Members of our Environmental Law Group help clients address energy-related environmental issues, from salt water spills to other oil and gas waste spills or contamination. We also assist with developing environmental management and auditing programs designed to address compliance and permitting issues.
- Labor & Employment – We assist with drafting environmental compliance policies and procedures and provide advice on workplace health and safety issues involving the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) and related state agencies. Our environmental attorneys also have experience handling and defending toxic tort litigation when chemical workplace exposure is an issue.
- Litigation / Toxic Tort / Alternative Dispute Resolution / Appellate - Environmental claims may arise from spill incidents, workplace exposure, citizen suit actions, enforcement actions or toxic tort litigation. Our Environmental Law Group provides clients with assistance in evaluating and responding to these claims, working with the appropriate experts and relying on their vast knowledge of environmental law, litigation and alternative dispute resolution techniques. Our experience includes actions under federal and state environmental laws, including the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act and Toxic Substances Control Act. We can assist with defense of Superfund or CERCLA claims and property damage claims related to underground or above ground storage tank releases or releases from other sources such as dry cleaners.